from the Arctic to the South Pole — in an electric car

Think I mentioned up thread, this is like blaming the wind turbines for the Texas fiasco.

Chief, I was thinkin more like blaming the (ICE powered) car for running out of gas :rflmao:

Just as an ICE driver has to plan their gas stops, so too does the EV driver have to be an active participant in the logistics of operating the machinery.

Sadly, there are those among us who don't seem to possess that type of situational awareness, and this will cause issues no matter what type of machinery that person operates.

Chief, I was thinkin more like blaming the (ICE powered) car for running out of gas :rflmao:

Just as an ICE driver has to plan their gas stops, so too does the EV driver have to be an active participant in the logistics of operating the machinery.

Sadly, there are those among us who don't seem to possess that type of situational awareness, and this will cause issues no matter what type of machinery that person operates.

I see the parallel here. If you run out of gas- you have to go get more gas somehow. That takes extra time and effort.

In an EV- they eventually WILL charge, even if not preconditioned beforehand- they will just use some of the energy to condition the battery while charging. This will increase charging time (that extra time and effort again), but probably not a catastrophe, unless you somehow manage to run the battery down SO far that you can't get to a charging station. At that point- the consequences are somewhat more drastic than running out of gas- you somehow have to manage to get something to charge the car- a portable generator, a helpful nearby person who will allow you to plug in at whatever random location you're in, and such. Potentially a bit more complicated than walking to a gas station and getting some gas in a can...

This obviously should be one of the reasons why people are seeming to gravitate towards hybrids somewhat more, seemingly, now, for the present. A gas station is a good backup for a charging station, in a dire situation.

It will be interesting to see the evolution of roadside assistance units, to work with electric cars. I would expect most, if not all, of them to start to have generating capabilities, to rescue those who manage to completely run their electric cars dead. Apparently, AAA is already starting to do this:

Regards,
Gordon.

When diesels started to move into the car and light truck market the notion of having to plug in your vehicle so it would start in the winter, or wait for the glow plugs to do their thing was probably considered quite alien too. I wasn't around to hear it but I'd pretty well guarantee the first time someone plugged in their 1978 Olds in the winter they had a neighbor saying how they didn't have to plug in their whatever so it would start. The same neighbor probably laughed as they saw the blown up Olds being hauled away for yet another engine replacement too. Any bets on the first time an owner of a car with an electric starter had to replace a battery, their neighbor with the T said they didn't need such nonsense to get their car started? How many broken-down early gas car owners got a "Get a horse!" comments from people?

The early days of most tech is just not very good. EV's have been semi-mainstream for what, 10 years or so now? Yes I know they were around to some degree before that but they were pretty darn rare until not very long ago. It'll get better as time goes on, or it won't and the entire concept will be abandoned as a stunning mistake but either way I wouldn't expect this to be the state of things forever.

When diesels started to move into the car and light truck market the notion of having to plug in your vehicle so it would start in the winter, or wait for the glow plugs to do their thing was probably considered quite alien too. I wasn't around to hear it but I'd pretty well guarantee the first time someone plugged in their 1978 Olds in the winter they had a neighbor saying how they didn't have to plug in their whatever so it would start. The same neighbor probably laughed as they saw the blown up Olds being hauled away for yet another engine replacement too. Any bets on the first time an owner of a car with an electric starter had to replace a battery, their neighbor with the T said they didn't need such nonsense to get their car started? How many broken-down early gas car owners got a "Get a horse!" comments from people?

The early days of most tech is just not very good. EV's have been semi-mainstream for what, 10 years or so now? Yes I know they were around to some degree before that but they were pretty darn rare until not very long ago. It'll get better as time goes on, or it won't and the entire concept will be abandoned as a stunning mistake but either way I wouldn't expect this to be the state of things forever.
This

I don't understand the blinders some must wear.

@gadget73 My dad had a 1977 403 olds custom cruiser wagon he bought new. He remarried in 1985 and we inherited a 1981 Pontiac safari wagon diesel that was my stepmoms. My dad cursed her ex-husband for that damn car. Luckily it was titled in stepmoms name and gm replaced 3 motors & 2 trans on their dime. Same car with different powertrain. The olds was a much better driving car and dead reliable.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that all technologies are still improving as time goes on, today's ICE powered cars are light years ahead of what we were driving 50 years ago, and I expect that ICE tech with continue to improve just as EV tech will.

Just think, if everything was in it's final mechanical form, , , we could fire all of the Engineers :p

;)

@gadget73 My dad had a 1977 403 olds custom cruiser wagon he bought new. He remarried in 1985 and we inherited a 1981 Pontiac safari wagon diesel that was my stepmoms. My dad cursed her ex-husband for that damn car. Luckily it was titled in stepmoms name and gm replaced 3 motors & 2 trans on their dime. Same car with different powertrain. The olds was a much better driving car and dead reliable.

They were turds, no question about it. When their lasting legacy is killing the passenger car diesel market for 40 years for an entire continent you know its a winner.

SO not knowing their exact route. Once they hit The arctic circle its a gravel road. I have a trip planned to the arctic circle at Tuktoyaktuk Northern Territories in my 48 Willys jeep and aside from 800 miles of gravel road it can be traveled a 50+MPH and once on the gravel you should be able in an ICE vehicle to get to the USA in 3 days travel time. The Canadian border to the Mexican Boarder should take at most 2 days Not sure how long through Mexico to the Darien Gap where there is no choice but to get on a ferry and travel around the gap While a couple of Jeep CJ-5's have made it over land it took months and nearly killed the people involved. Then on down the Pan Am hwy to the tip of South America. Heck them morons from Top Gear ran this. These guys had ICE support vehicles all through the tough areas.

SO not knowing their exact route. Once they hit The arctic circle its a gravel road. I have a trip planned to the arctic circle at Tuktoyaktuk Northern Territories in my 48 Willys jeep and aside from 800 miles of gravel road it can be traveled a 50+MPH and once on the gravel you should be able in an ICE vehicle to get to the USA in 3 days travel time. The Canadian border to the Mexican Boarder should take at most 2 days Not sure how long through Mexico to the Darien Gap where there is no choice but to get on a ferry and travel around the gap While a couple of Jeep CJ-5's have made it over land it took months and nearly killed the people involved. Then on down the Pan Am hwy to the tip of South America. Heck them morons from Top Gear ran this. These guys had ICE support vehicles all through the tough areas.
You need to watch long way up. Electric motorcycles with electric pickup support from South to North. They even discussed the infrastructure they installed and the problems they had.

You need to watch long way up. Electric motorcycles with electric pickup support from South to North. They even discussed the infrastructure they installed and the problems they had.

It's nice that they had the money and the connections, to get all that done. It wouldn't, at this time, have been possible for the average person to have done that.

The cynical side of me says- how long will it be- for those out-of-the-way charging stations- before locals scavenge them for scrap? I doubt many people in those locations have the resources to buy electric cars, yet. Many of them are just looking to have food and heat for their homes.

Yes, these things WILL get more common. And yes, probably much better. But as of now- this trip is still sort of just a publicity stunt. Much like the "around the world" races were in the early 1900s. They were important as a technology demonstration, but not indicative of what was possible in everyday life, yet. In another 10 years, this will be much more possible for the average person to do, most likely- just not really now.

Regards,
Gordon.

we actually just bought our first full Ev about 2 weeks ago. A Hyundai no less. Never thought I'd actually own a Hyundai product, let alone a full EV Ioniq 6. But hard to argue with 400-500 km range on a $10 charge.

320 Hp and AWD doesn't exactly hurt either. Man, is this thing quick! Instant torque right at idle is fun! Dropping the hammer isn't exactly good for battery range, but it sure is fun! I swear to jebus, I actually feel my eyeballs going “out of round” when I floor it from a stop. The acceleration is almost violent. Go into the OS and disable the front axle motor and flip off the traction control switch and this thing is a real tail wagger! A complete full on, lung bursting laugh machine!

I have to keep reminding my self this thing is a Hyundai....a freaking 320 hp, 446 lb/ft, 4 door..... Hyundai......cripes, I never would have seen that coming. I still remember when the "Pony" was sold off showroom floors and they threw in a roll of sheet metal and a box of pop rivets to replace the floors the next year.......

Overnight charging on a home level 2 charger to 100% and it's good to go for at least three days back and forth to work and some running around. 18 minutes for 0 to 100% on a level 3 charger (fast charger), but no need for that as it pretty much just goes back and forth to work.

Atlantic Canada cold (averaging -10C to -15C this past week) doesn't seem to bother it at all.

The thing is dead quiet inside. And I mean dead silent. Loudest thing you hear is the wind moving past the side view mirrors, It's actually kind of nice, calming, serene even. You actually start wondering why all cars aren't this quiet. Jump in my 2016 F-150 Ecoboost after the I6 and I actually noticed how much louder it was with the gas engine and my Lariat is pretty bloody quiet compared to other vehicles.

It certainly is a "mind shift" for planning how you use the available kms though. Have to put a little more thought into trips to work and the store and how much charge you're going to burn off. We’re not doing anything much less than we were before the EV, we’re just a little smarter at planning how we’re going to do things. Honestly, we should have been planning out our trips better with our gas cars before as well. The ability to "charge up" in a gas car in 5 minutes had us spoiled and we had gotten to the point where we just accepted the near 600-800 dollar a month fuel bill.

Looking back now at how much we were paying monthly in fuel and it feels like we got caught in the whole "toss a frog in hot water and it will jump out right out. But turn the stove up slowly and..." thing. Not to mention, that bill for unleaded is only going to go one way in the future and that's "up". They just keep turning up that stove nice and slow...

Overall, the change isn't as bad as most think and we're (so far and admitted only 2 weeks in to it) saving a boat load of cash. Just in the week/week-and-a-half we've had it, we're around 125-150 bucks up on what we would have spent in unleaded. Hard to turn your nose up at that with today's economic realities.

We had to trade in the old car for a new one anyways (previous car was 10 years old and starting to cost us significant cash in time and repairs) so the purchase price of an EV comes out pretty much moot for us. The old car probably would have gone another 4-5 years after the last round of major repairs, but the clock was ticking and any residual value it had left in it was rapidly evaporating. 8 grand in gov't grants for new EV's (combined federal and provincial grants) didn't hurt either. The timing of "needing to trade in an older car and buy new" plus the EV change just worked out for us. The "economics" of the whole thing might not have been as appealing if it was just swapping out a gas car for EV because, well... you want to.

We also kicked out the "bumper to bumper" warranty to match the battery pack warranty of 8 years or 160,000 kms. This car is essentially a big software driven computer, so I didn't want to have the car warranty run out at 5 years and still have batt pack warranty remaining.

I am a retired auto mechanic and aircraft mechanic, but anything more than swapping summer/winter tires and this thing is pretty much right out of my wheelhouse. I’m good to work on anything right up to this years fuel injection and computer controls, but this rolling computer is something else altogether.

I have a good grasp on the principles and components it operates on, but I'm certainly NOT sticking my hand down into a car that has a massive 800V battery pack hiding in there just waiting for me to cross a contact or something. No-thank-you. I mean, it's not like the old days where if the radio craps out you pick another one up at the local dept store for 100 bucks and slap it in the dash. Literally everything is connected to everything on this car. You can’t just change a radio or hvac head anymore. Heck, there is literally nothing like that anymore. Its all now control by a dash mounted touchscreen thats 2 1/2 feet long in this thing! There’s no way in heck you’ll be able to afford to change that sucker out if the warranty is kaput!

Extending the warranty was a couple grand extra on the purchase price, but well worth it to me. This is one of those times when you definitely want to pay someone else to work on it for you.....

EV's probably aren't for everyone, but the writing is on the wall for gas power vehicles. Whether you want to read that writing or not doesn’t matter, it's still there....

And so far, EV is working out well for us. I've always got my 2016 F-150 CC LB Lariat if we get caught out at 0% battery charge some random morning and needing to get to work...and I just gotta have a truck for hauling the occasional load of gash around. So I guess we're still "hedging our bets" a bit. Hey, the truck is paid for, I'm retired, it's only got a total of 85.000 kms on the ODO and 150 bucks in the tank lasts me 6 months or more. No sense getting rid of it anytime soon..

And when I think about it, there's still the Corvette in the garage, the Mustang and the Mini Cooper for summer fun or if something just crazy happens to the I6 or F-150....

Last edited:
600 to 800 a month in fuel?? What were you driving and how far? Even accounting for the exchange rate to USD that would be 445 to 594 USD currently fuel here is on average 3.10 per US gallon to burn up 445 USD in gasoline here even with my 98 Dodge dakota at 18 mpg I would have to drive 2583 miles IN A MONTH? if you go to the high number your talking then its 3,449 miles if you go the wifes car at 30mpg thats 5748 miles in a month. Even if your fuel is twice the cost of ours I have to really wonder where you are driving each month to base this one. Back and forth to BC?

Your choices all fine and dandy but At the average cost of a new EV at 60,000.00 I can buy more fuel then I will use in the rest of my life for that especially as it ends up costing $75K once the loan is done screwing you. So at $75,000 and even $4.50 a gallon I will be able to drive my 98 Dakota for over 3 million miles!!!!!!!!

In fact I will be able to completely rebuild my 98 Dodge Dakota with a rebuilt engine transmission and minor body work it needs and repaint job and new interior and still have enough for 2.5 million miles of fuel.

That's whataboutism math that only applies to you. For someone that is going to spend $75kish on a new car anyway that math doesn’t cut it.

And btw, no one is really expecting people like you to buy one anyway.

Good I would really hate to disappoint them.

Here's the thing about EV's until the single mom with two kids working to support her self and family can afford to buy one they will never be more then a small part of the market. Its just not going to happen.

Good I would really hate to disappoint them.

Here's the thing about EV's until the single mom with two kids working to support her self and family can afford to buy one they will never be more then a small part of the market. Its just not going to happen.
Your probably not in the market for a new ICE before your done driving either. The rest is just talking points.

You can get them in the lower price ranges. My daughter, who does not make a lot, food service, bought a Chevy almost 2 yrs ago. She is a penny pinching tight ass that knows where every penny goes, that's a good thing. She told me after the first couple months that it's saves here a couple hundred a month compared to the car she trading in on it, a newer Kia Sol. And continues to almost pay for itself.

A friend in Finland bought an EV last June, a Nissan. I haven't really gotten a feel from him on how it is in their cold, but he charges overnight in his garage. He is retired, so not going to work every day. One thing they DO have is charging stations everywhere, and after I thought about it, of course! Virtually every ICE car gets plugged into an electric heater outlet on the street, when parked in the winter...streetsides look lined with parking meters but they are not...heater hookup stations are what they are. I guess you just plug your EV into one of those! And, being 220 volts, must be like every one is a "Class 2" station here...even in their home garages...

Back
Top Bottom