Piano hinges on a dust cover?

Barncats

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Has anyone tried this? A search did yield one Aker who used them on a Dual.

I have a Sony 2251 with broken dustcover and non-original hinges. I recently bought a nice JVC QL cover from our brother Mythless, but it has a hole pattern that matches only JVC hinges. I am less than enthusiastic about drilling even more holes, especially for a set of hinges that are not original equipment.

At first I thought about using a continuous 18-inch run of piano hinge along the back, but now I'm leaning toward using a pair of these smaller, rounded-end hinges in the 102mm x 17mm size

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware/page.aspx?p=46488&cat=3,41241

fastening one side of each hinge onto the top surface of the rear wall of the wooden plinth, and the other side onto the bottom of the exterior surface of the dustcover's rear wall, screwing through the plastic into a strip of something that I place on the *inside* surface of the rear wall. This way the dustcover's plastic rear wall is sandwiched between the brass hinge plate and the strip of material on the inside, and the load distributed among three screws for each hinge.

The profile of the dustcover is ever-so-slightly slanted on the rear wall, which means that when the dustcover is opened and sitting with its rear wall in a horizontal position, the center of gravity is such that the dustcover will not fall forward, yet it is not leaning backward so much that it stresses the attachment at the hinges.

Can anyone see a reason *not* to do this, based on your own past "adventures" with piano hinges? Will 6 through-fastenings be enough to spread the load? (The dust cover weighs about 2 lbs/0.9kg and the wall thickness is right around 1/8"/3.2mm) Or is it a lot wiser to use a continuous run to spread the load over many more fastening points?

If I go ahead with this (and am successful!) I'll make a post with pictures of the finished project.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Last edited:
I've thought about it but one concern I have is the proximity of the holes to the edge. Maybe it's just psychological but with the ease of cracking the lid already it seems that it would be more likely to happen.

Without something to stabilize it in the open position, I would worry about stability of its being open. If I'm reading you correctly, the plan is to "balance" it open on the hinges?

I think if you could integrate some sort of "stop" which allows the cover to only open just past vertical, and rest slightly tipped back would be best. If it leans back too far, it would stress the hinges.

Otherwise, I see no reason this couldn't work. It would actually distribute stresses on the plastic cover more evenly than traditional dustcover hinges.

How about attaching the hinge to the TT, attaching some u-channel to the hinge with the open side up. Slip cover into u when needed.

I took the hinges off my TT and put the cove aside when playing now. My thought was why have a big resonant thing hanging off the rear?

Without something to stabilize it in the open position, I would worry about stability of its being open.

I'm in full agreement with cgutz on this one. Your hinges will operate just fine as you planned, but without any dampening mechanism or "door stop" to prevent the unexpected drop, that's a heck of a risk, IMO.

One good slam and ACK!

I spent a great deal of time a while back, trying to come up with a spring-loaded hinge method for a dust cover I made. It was a single piece plexi heated and bent into front, top and back, with 3/8" solid wood sides. Looks really cool. Never came up with a satisfactory method. :(

I could've gone with the balancing act option, but I knew I would screw up sooner or later.

Hope you find a method that works for you!

-Jeff

I think that piano hinge is way too small. At 12mm. wide that means each leaf is less than 1/4" wide. As mentioned, this will put the mounting holes dangerously close to the edge of the dust cover. I would think you would need about 40-50mm. total width, minimum.
The early Philips 212 turntables had a spring loaded stay rod which propped up the left side of the dust cover when open. It worked quite well. As you opened the dust cover, a torsion spring flipped the stay rod down.
Several years ago I saw some black plastic hinges which I thought would work well. They had adjustable friction and were available in different sizes from small to large. I don't know who sells them, though.
Rick

I prefer no hinges. I never play a record with the dustcover on. They are antennas for unwanted external vibration.

I use the dustcover when the table is not being used. The cake-top covers with no hinges are fine for my needs.

Here is a thread on how I fixed a Technics lid just as an alternative solution.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=586280

You could also try a prop. Some Lenco tables used them to hold the lid up, but this will involve some other gadgets and holes. Checking Lee Valley I also see lid stays that might give you ideas.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware/page.aspx?p=52859&cat=3,41419,43745&ap=1

Is that copy of Steamin" from the Analogue Productions box?
What a fabulous set of records

Is that copy of Steamin" from the Analogue Productions box?
What a fabulous set of records

It is Steamin' which is a great album but my copy is a solo, not from the box set. I do have the CD set though. :D

It is Steamin' which is a great album but my copy is a solo, not from the box set. I do have the CD set though. :D

Is the Lp an Analogue Productions version?
They did great job I am lucky I could afford the box when it came out!
I bought the Monk box from those guys too around same time 1998?
Fantastic

I'm sure you want to get this sorted out but my recommendation is do it right since that Sony 2251 is a very nice table. The original dustcover could be exactly copied by a shop that makes dustcovers. Finding the original Sony hinges might be tough but I wouldn't totally give up.

Back
Top Bottom