seeburg discotheque speaker system

theebadone

Does anyone know anything about these monsters,I recently picked up four of these speakers very right. the only thing i can find on them is they were built in 1965 by the seeburg jukebox company, they have 2 15 inch drivers made by utah, and a altec sectoral horn number 811. I have then hooked up to my mcintosh and they sound great. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on these and what they might be worth. Oh and they weigh 172 pounds a piece. Here are some pics.

Last edited:
The horns are Altec 811(B). They are (well, IMNSHO) very nice MR/HF horns. What kind of drivers do they have on them.

Looks to me as though you've gotten yourself a score (as folks seem to be saying around here). If those were cheap enough, you might want to consider investing in "real" Altec woofers for them :)

Cool,But the horn goes on top...........

Actually when placed with the long axis vertically the 811 horn is capable of throwing a huge soundstage (depending on the room and placement of course). Don't ask me me why, I suppose it shouldn't. But it can.

These have the altec 811 horn as u noticed and 2 15 inch utah drivers. they sound great just like they are, great highs, nothin missin in the midsection, and the bass is effortless hooked up to the mac. all speakers are in good shape. I have 4 of these. hmmmm maybe a surround system, lmao The model number is dds1

GordonW will probably have an opinion on these I suspect. :scratch2:

Oh hell yes. :D

Of course, I take 'em and update the cabinets with woofers that I build myself (based on a JBL pro driver frame), a slightly different horn (but you could keep the 811 flare, I would think), a Selenium D220Ti horn driver, a supertweeter, and my own crossover design. They're pure fun, once I'm done with 'em! :banana: The folks that came to the last AK Southern Fest here can attest to that!

But, that's not to say that they suck, stock! They're still quite fun to listen to as they came!

Regards,
Gordon.

Youre right, im havin fun with these monsters jus tas they came. that big 811 horn will hurt yer ears, lol when i put kenny g in the cd deck my dog starts howling, she has never done that and i have tested lots of speakers lol. they sound great to me as they came. but i will be on the lookout for better drivers, and a crossover to calm that horn down a bit. thanks for all the replies

Youre right, im havin fun with these monsters jus tas they came. that big 811 horn will hurt yer ears, lol when i put kenny g in the cd deck my dog starts howling, she has never done that and i have tested lots of speakers lol. they sound great to me as they came. but i will be on the lookout for better drivers, and a crossover to calm that horn down a bit. thanks for all the replies
We've been through this scenario several times now. Here's a Skywave-Rider thread that may be of interest:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18913

Hey Zilch... didn't you guys determine that the Selenium D220 (or D210) worked pretty well on the Altec 811 horn (at least, a lot more HF extension)? Of course, it'd have to be the bolt-on version (as opposed to the screw-on pipe-thread type that's normally seen in the Selenium drivers)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Hey Zilch... didn't you guys determine that the Selenium D220 (or D210) worked pretty well on the Altec 811 horn (at least, a lot more HF extension)?
Yes, but D220ti's not gonna play down to 800 Hz, or wherever below 1.8 kHz those are crossed. We don't know what 802s are in the stock units, or what crossover, but the first priority has to be be taming the Altec mids, which is easily accomplished with an add-on HF comp filter like Altec's own 30904/23.

I think even with the Utahs, that better bass can be achieved as well, by running one member of the pair in "helper" mode.... :yes:

Last edited:
My wife's father was in the jukebox business and I remember visiting them in Denver in 1980 and he had the same pair with the gold 811s in the family room (with the horns at the tops).

Thanks for all of the info, i just took the back off of the other two ssd1s and there are separate filters,, someone has added the clip on wire inserts. I guess ill do some swappin, dang, i just wish these things werent so heavy

Back
Top Bottom