wharfedale opinions

james1414d

I have a pair of modus 8's and a pair of crs 9's. I've tried hard to find any real difference between the two . they both sound great!

My question revolves around my dads speakers from way back when. He had Wharfedale E70's. They sure looked awesome, but, I was too young to remember what they sounded like.

I sure would like to have the E70's for nostalgias sake, but, would they sound as good as my more modern Wharfedales? My gear is all Pioneer spec equipment (spec 4, spec 1, etc). I'm sure the E70's were designed around the amplifiers designed around thier same era, ie; my equipment. I would just hate to buy a set to find out they werent as clear as what I have.

I realize there would be a limited number of people with knoladge of all three of these speakers, but, why not ask :) !

Thanks for any input.

Ive got a pair of W30d's good luck finding any info on those, they were from the mid late 60's? Seems as though wharfdale peeps in the USA are hard to come by. I replaced the jellyfish tweets in mine and they sound frekin amazing....they are just unbeliavably smooth. I with it had a bigger woofer though, 8" is ok...but it lacks just a little punch youd get from like a 10" or 12"

Mark

Wharfedale peep here...I have the W35's 8 inch 3-way enclosed box, they do
indeed sound amazing! very smooth, deep, and "warm" if you will.
True they are not 10 or 12 but enuff to get me in trouble in a 1 bedroom apt.

I just bought a set of these w35's. I should get them today. Can't to hear them.

Do you guys have any info on the W30s? I've been looking here and there and cant find anything. Im gonna guess its prolly the same drivers as the W35, but mine is only a 2 way bookshelf. pics??!!

Mark

I have the monster vintage W90's, some W60's and some E50's. the older W models are smooth, a little clipped on top and sound excellent for jazz, vocals and the like. Shine on anything acoustic. The E series is more bright and modern sounding. Great for rock and dynamic music but still do well on smooth jazz etc. Good speakers.

for what you can usually get them, wharfedales are one of the best buys out there-unless the drivers are totally trashed; and even then the cabinets are good at the right price. i pick up any i come across at a decent price and have found a satisfying spot for all of them.

I just got a set of W35's. These are an EXTREMELY nice set of bookshelfs. For bookshelfs I would consider them some of the best I have heard. I also own the E70's - to be clear they are the E70's not the W70e's. I have recapped the E70's as well. I also own the W60's.

My opinions - both the w60's and w35's have a more balanced sound in terms of bass/mid/treble ratios. The E70's a little shy on the amount of bass, the quality of bass is excellent but it doesn't have the level needed to shake your floors. It can shake your windows - but it doesn't have the ultra deep bass or the ultrta strong bass of more conventional rock speaekrs.

But, the E70's have the best highs and mids I have heard of almost any speaekrs. I think my Khorns were the only speaekrs that did a little better. My E70's are my prefered speakers with symphony/classical music - bar none.

I am currently listening to celine dion on the w35's as I type this - wow - but just a bit shy on the ultra deep bass - but whatdo you expect form 15" square x 8" deep speaker.

Pics of my w35's here

EDIT - I'll open these i na bit and look into recapping them, I'll also post pics of the drivers then.

Attachments

• P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 128
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 117
  • P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 175
  • P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 139
I reread the op's post and quaestions about tube vs SS stuff. I run both, but I find the tube stuff works extremely well on all of the wharfs. The E70's do respond well with some good SS too though.

I passed on W70's in some of the most beautiful cabs ever a year ago. 70 bucks only. Kicking myself hard right now.:dammit:

I have seen and read that review. I think he is just a bit harsh on the speakers performance. But that is my opinion.

A few pic's...they sound as good as they look
Thanks

Attachments

• wharf1.jpg
    wharf1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 198
  • wharf2.jpg
    wharf2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 132
  • wharf3.jpg
    wharf3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 118
I had some E50's I believe early in my audio journey.Nice sounding speakers but being early in my audio career I didn't give them enough of a a chance to really see what they were made of.Longing for some W70's or 90's now.

Those W30 are kind cool. I'll keep my eye open for some.

Here are my E50's for reference. I need to find some replacements mids as one has issues and the other has the wrong surround. BTW those are not goofy trim rings , they are the aluminum baskets. These speakers look cheap from the outside but are actually well built. Cabs are very well built and have very nice veneer on them.

431474182_Z4ufR-L.jpg

433928189_hMnck-L.jpg

433928160_5Mj3s-L.jpg

Last edited:
Those W30 are kind cool. I'll keep my eye open for some.

Here are my W50's for reference. I need to find some replacements mids as one has issues and the other has the wrong surround. BTW those are not goofy trim rings , they are the aluminum baskets. These speakers look cheap from the outside but are actually well built. Cabs are very well built and have very nice veneer on them.

431474182_Z4ufR-L.jpg

433928189_hMnck-L.jpg

433928160_5Mj3s-L.jpg

W50's??? I think those are E50's. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Here is a pic of one of my E70's

Attachments

• P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 29
Yes those are E50s.I know I had a pair.As I recall the paper cone comes unglued from the edges on both of my woofers.May be symptomatic to the E series.Very well built as I recall but quite possibly the ugliest set of speakers I ever owned.

The W30's ive got are not pretty, but definatly more pleasing than the W35, heh. And ditto on the tube amp, ive got mine on my ST70 and they are just so silky and smooth on jazz, vocals and the like. Rock isnt too bad either....a little lacking on the bump, but they are just so smooth its stupid!

The jellyfish tweet in mine were blown though. So i sourced some Dayton silk domes, They sound just as good if not better. Anyone got any info on these W30's? I 've never ben able to find any info at all, let alone many people that have had these.

W30back.jpg

W30front.jpg

W30grilloff.jpg

Whatfdaletweetstock.jpg

Mark

Hey there,

I have a set of E70's (not E70d) and I will second that they sound best with classical music, and great with jazz as well. For more bass heavy music they don't shine as brightly, but believe me they still sound sweet. Very smooth, very clear.

People tell me that 100 bucks is a good price for them but I got mine for free, just lucked out I guess.

Back
Top Bottom