Bridge collapse in Baltimore

There has been some discrepancy between when the bridge was built. It is reported to have been built in 1977. The Governor of Maryland reported having crossed it as a child. He looks older than being a child in 1977. Who knows what kind things we will find out with this disaster.
It was started in 1972 and completed in 1977. Wes Moore was born in 1978, so he could have crossed it when he was young.

It was started in 1972 and completed in 1977. Wes Moore was born in 1978, so he could have crossed it when he was young.
I was going to ask if they saw a different Mayor than I did, the one I saw looked pretty "young".

I wonder if there was any current involved.
I also just read that even before it lost power, it was too far to the side, and not lined up to the center of the bridge like it should have been.
A TV commentator who's a pleasure boater had an interesting comment. He said that possibly being out of the center of the channel the ship could have been into the mud on the bottom. If so that would have made it doubly hard to change directions. Probably several factors involved. Anyhoo, the details will eventually come out.

From Reuters:

"What do we know about the ship that was involved?

The Dali was leaving Baltimore en route to Colombo, Sri Lanka. All 22 crew, including two pilots on board, have been accounted for and there were no injuries, the ship’s manager, Synergy Marine Group said.

The registered owner of the Singapore- flagged ship is Grace Ocean Pte Ltd, LSEG data show. The ship measures 948 feet – as long as three football fields placed end to end – and was stacked high with containers.

The ship can hold up to 10,000 twenty- foot equivalent unit, or TEU, a measure of cargo capacity. It was carrying 4,679 TEU.

The same ship was involved in an incident in the port of Antwerp, Belgium, in 2016, when it hit a quay as it tried to exit the North Sea container terminal.

A later inspection in June 2023 carried out in San Antonio in Chile found the vessel had “propulsion and auxiliary machinery” deficiencies, according to data on the public Equasis website, which provides information on ships."

I was wondering about three related factors.

What is the prescribed speed in that waterway.

Is there a decrease of speed limit when approaching obstacles like a bridge?

What sort of lighting is used to luminate the forward area used by a vessel of this size.

Q

A Google Earth shot of the supports showing it wouldn't take much of an impact to knock things loose.

The Bridge.JPG

Exactly. A rudder needs a certain volume of water flowing past it to work otherwise it becomes ineffective at slower speeds.
I have never driven 1000' ships but I have driven 505' and 445' ships.

Knowing these "points of weakness", could there have been any protection barriers put in place, or would this not be a consideration?

Again, just curious.

Q

Last edited:
#1 what's under the water's surface is as important as what's above. #2, I'm calling BS on that image.

#1 what's under the water's surface is as important as what's above. #2, I'm calling BS on that image.
It looked also like a direct impact from the pics I have seen. The bulbus bow would have impacted the underwater structure about the same time the bullnose was impacting. Not sure how beefy something would need to be to withstand that kind of weight at 8kts.

Back
Top Bottom