Calling All Metalheads - It's Time To Reclaim The Horns

Cool_Manchu

Time to play B-sides...
I randomly found this story today by Dee Snider of Twisted Sister on NME. I think he has a point. Metalheads unite and let's get our horns back!

:rockon:

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=123&title=calling_all_metalheads_it_s_time_to_recl&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I first became conscious of the misuse of the metal horns when I read an article a few years ago in the brilliant, sarcastic, fictitious, weekly newspaper The Onion. It was entitled Metal Council Convenes To Discuss 'Metal Hand Sign' Abuse and it was a hysterical send up on how it seemed everyone was throwing the metal horns, and for all the wrong reasons.

A couple of years later I was asked to be a part of a new reality show called Gone Country. The idea for the program was simple: take non-country music singers and subject them to an intense two weeks of “education” to the country way of life and music style and teach us how to be country music stars. Heading down to Nashville, I fully expected to be bombarded by iconic imagery and philosophy.

continued...

What I was not prepared for, was repeated posing and photographs by the show’s host (John Rich) and other country music icons, decked out in their country music finest (you know, boots, hats, ties, horses, the works) throwing the heavy metal horns. Some with big, toothy southern smiles and others with snarling faces and mouths wide open. You know... the metal face.

I was stunned. This was a clear violation of the Mason Dixon Accord of 1856, signed at the end of the Civil War. To sum up pages and pages of rhetoric, legalese and political bullshit, it says: “You don’t **** with our shit and we won’t **** with yours.” Or something like that. Bottom line: this genre crossing was never supposed to happen.

All of a sudden, it seemed like I couldn’t open a magazine or turn on the television from that point on without seeing some usurper to our symbol, throwing the metal horns.

And not just country and western artists. Hip-hop artists, pop singers, jam bands, boy bands, jazz musicians, pop divas, R&B singers, ‘tween rockstars, hell, I even saw a photo of Miley Cyrus - Miss Hanna Montana herself - throwing the horns, and smiling. What the hell is going on?

But it doesn’t stop there. The metal horns, once thrown exclusively at heavy metal concerts or in the act of doing something “metal,” are now being thrown everywhere, and being entirely misused. I submit for your consideration exhibits A-C:

Exhibit A:
I was in a clothing store and heard a customer ask some preppy sales girl to find a specific sized, pair of pants for her. Upon taking the requested item off the shelf, the sales girl... threw the metal horns. That’s not metal!

That’s not even an accomplishment worthy of any sort of celebration. It should be noted that a Bon Jovi song was playing on the instore music system. I have a theory about Bon Jovi’s culpability in the abuse of the metal horns. I’ll explain later.***

Exhibit B:
While waiting in line at a grocery store, I saw a middle-aged guy struggling at the self-check out lane. Upon successfully completing the purchase of his six items... the idiot threw the metal horns. What the hell is that?

Sure, those self-check lanes can be a bitch, and successfully navigating one is an accomplishment of sorts, but throwing the horns? Note: There was a photo of Jon Bon Jovi on the cover of a nearby magazine, smiling. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

Exhibit C:
I was at the airport waiting for my wife to come out of the bathroom. I saw a little boy, five or six years old tops, walk out of the men’s room, still adjusting his fly. A woman, who had been standing near me, called out to the child, “How did it go Jimmy?” Jimmy looked up at his Mom, smiled ear to ear... and threw the metal horns. What?

To make matters worse... Mom threw little Jimmy the horns back! That’s just not right.

What was once a symbol of solidarity and rebellion exclusively for a community of metal heads, has now become a casual symbol, signifying any modicum of success at anything or just something to do with your hands in any photo that isn’t a wedding picture or a mug shot (though I have seen the horns thrown in one or two wedding photos).

This is wrong. It’s time we - the heavy metal community - took our horns back. We need to lay down the law and reclaim that which is rightfully ours. Let’s identify the perpetrators/ violators and let them know that they are treading on sacred ground.

Let’s post photos of celebrity violators on this website and send them e-mails, citations and letters calling them out on their misuse and demanding they cease metal horn usage.

And as far as, Joe and Jane Non-Headbanger go, we need to publicly call them out and shun them (there’s nothing quite like a good shunning) for their misuse of the horns and issue them warnings against any future use. (You will find an easy to print form available on Takebackthehorns.com.)

We must let them all know that we are watching... and we’re not gonna take it anymore! (I had to get that in there somewhere).

So join me, join all true headbangers - join the fight to take back that which is rightfully ours and return the metal horns to their former metal glory.

*** In the interest of complete disclosure it should be noted that I tend to blame Bon Jovi for pretty much everything wrong in the world. The death of 80’s metal, the failing record industry, the crumbling economy, the Bush presidency, etc. are all Bon Jovi’s fault.

While I can back each of my accusations with statistics, solid arguments and physical evidence, my wife Suzette insists that I’m just jealous because Bon Jovi continues to be successful and Jon Bon Jovi is handsome. There may be some truth to this.

From the title, I though you meant French horns, English horns, etc. I was trying to imagine who... (Slayer? Pantera? Deicide?) uses an oboe. Well, Nigel Tufnel in Clam Caravan!
(to the n00bzors, Clam Caravan is a song, not a band. EVERYBODY knows what band Nigel Tufnel is in!)

It's ignorance. To us in other parts of the world, much of America seems unhealthily Christian, and puritanical. The fact that they happily make the sign of Satan & celebrate Halowe'en shows a blissful unawareness of the symbols they are using.

They might even mistakenly 'think' they are giving the surfers' 'hang ten' hand sign - something much more approprate to the situations you describe. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka_sign)

(New Jersey was the last Bon-Shnovi album worth listening to)

Attachments

• rockonpope.jpg
    rockonpope.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
From the title, I though you meant French horns, English horns, etc. I was trying to imagine who... (Slayer? Pantera? Deicide?) uses an oboe. Well, Nigel Tufnel in Clam Caravan!
(to the n00bzors, Clam Caravan is a song, not a band. EVERYBODY knows what band Nigel Tufnel is in!)

It's ignorance. To us in other parts of the world, much of America seems unhealthily Christian, and puritanical. The fact that they happily make the sign of Satan & celebrate Halowe'en shows a blissful unawareness of the symbols they are using.

They might even mistakenly 'think' they are giving the surfers' 'hang ten' hand sign - something much more approprate to the situations you describe. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka_sign)

(New Jersey was the last Bon-Shnovi album worth listening to)

I told an old girlfriend that went to church regularly that it was the sign of the devil (666) and she said "really?". There is a lot of ignorance in this world.

You can have your horns back imho but I'm still going to listen to hard rock. No need to display that here.

Take back the horns? George Clinton and Bootsy Collins were throwing that hand gesture before Dio and the metalheads.

\m/

BTW shaka does not equate to 'hang ten' has nothing to do with surfing

Well there's another nother one that has become 'adopted' and twisted. "hang loose" / Hang-ten, NOT the same thing true... but on SA beaches these things become intermingled and entangled. If it's done in Hawaii, it MUST be a surfin' thang!

"Shaka" here means something totally different - or rather someone. "c. 1787 – c. 22 September, 1828) was the most influential leader of the Zulu Kingdom."

Last edited:
The "horns" hand gesture has a very special meaning in Italy. You do it and you have a good chance of waking up in a cement overcoat. Courtesy of a Web search, in Italy this hand gesture means:

"You've Been Cuckolded, Uocchio e maluocchio: This is a variation of the "horns" hand gesture that is reasonably common in Italy - and Naples in particular. In Naples it it is usually used by women to a insult a man and implies that he has been "cuckolded" or in simpler terms - his wife (girlfriend) is having an affair. Shown by one man to another it is considered very serious "Fighting Talk" and is one of the worst hand gestures that can be made. Its inappropriate use will usually result in physical violence."

The "horns" hand gesture has a very special meaning in Italy.

Ha! I've seen that in movies, but never knew what it meant exactly. (I always guessed it was some kind of curse)
Usually seems to be a favourite of wicked and evil 'grandmother' figures. From what I recall, they do it with the fingers pointed at the person, rather than pointing to the sky.

Yes and you are showing your fair share. Halloween has its roots in a Christian tradition, know as "All Hallow's Eve" or " All Saints Eve" and the Celtic tradition, "Samhain", while polytheistic, is not devil worship. I fail to see where wearing a plastic mask of Spiderman or a girl dressed as a ballerina, is ignorant of anything...

As for the sign of satan, well things change and mean different things to different people. heavy Metal is no longer relevant in the music world, so it matters little what Snider thinks.

Last edited:
Even though I went to a lot of metal shows in the early and mid late 80's, when supposedly the horns were the 'rebellious' way of showing your faith.. or what other BS way you want to think of it.. I always thought it was stupid.... I never was a "horn" person at all the hardest of metal shows..

Halloween has its roots in a Christian tradition, know as "All Hallow's Eve" or " All Saints Eve" and the Celtic tradition, "Samhain", while polytheistic, is not devil worship.

I didn't claim Hallowe'en = devil worship. I said their celebration of it shows an ignorance of the symbols involved.

I didn't claim Hallowe'en = devil worship. I said their celebration of it shows an ignorance of the symbols involved.

Halloween gets its roots from Christian and Celtic tradition.

Here is a part of the activities involved in the Celtic tradition, "The ancient Celts believed that the border between this world and the otherworld became thin on Samhain, allowing spirits (both harmless and harmful) to pass through. The familie's ancestors were honored and invited home whilst harmful spirits were warded off. It is believed that the need to ward off harmful spirits led to the wearing of costumes and masks. Their purpose was to disguise oneself as a harmful spirit and thus avoid harm."

So where is this ignorance you speak of? How is this "puritanical"? Your word not mine... This is nothing more than superstition... And most Christians know the origins of halloween. :yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom