Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Did a thrift circuit of the nearest city over the weekend.

20240324_164649.jpg

This little compressor is "the bomb".
Devilbiss brand from 2000- 2.5 CFM @90 psi.
WAY better than those .5 CFM ones from harbor freight.
My wife has had an identical one since 1999.
It has painted two cars among other things.
Nice to have a spare, or might give it to my mom for her mower.
IMO a steal at $70.

20240324_164731.jpg

36" crow bar $5
While we were out, I saw something shiny in the road-
Kobalt fine tooth 3/8" ratchet. Scuffed a little but works fine.

20240317_164849.jpg

Cross slide vise $20.
It's HF, but it's older and nice and tight.
Their new ones are very loose and $80!

I've never seen a undercut saw before, but sure could have used one.
Also $20.

20240317_171210.jpg

$10. Hey- you never know.

20240324_164751.jpg

Metal mail box 10 bucks. New in the box. All there.
We just replaced one at a rental house. It was $40 IIRC.

20240324_164609.jpg

Portable New Wave Oven. We use the full sized one almost every day.
Not exactly an air fryer, but close. Great for last night's baby back ribs. Can crisp up previously cooked bacon.
I found a portable a few years ago. This one is nicer. Now my wife has one.
$25. Online price.......$230 !!!

I was just about to build extensions for our sofa legs. It was on my list of things to do for the day.
Found those risers for $5. that's what I call a "reverse Murphy".
That Smart Weigh is a postal and package scale.
Near professional quality. 20 bucks.
Haven't looked that up yet.

Nice thing to have. That's a good size, too.

I found a $5 aluminum 12" a few years ago.
I use it frequently and I've never seen another aluminum one.

Nice thing to have. That's a good size, too.

I found a $5 aluminum 12" a few years ago.
I use it frequently and I've never seen another aluminum one.
Aluminum is the way to go with the Rigid pipe wrenches. That is what I have.

Aluminum is the way to go with the Rigid pipe wrenches. That is what I have.
I’m in the fire/life safety side of plumbing and aluminum has been the way to go for 40+ years. Nobody wants to even think about lifting up a Rigid 60” in steel. Ever since threaded large diameter pipe was almost completely replaced with grooved, annything over 2” isn’t that common anymore.

I get a kick out of handing the apprentices chain tongs or combo wrenches just to see them instantly rethink their decision about becoming a sprinkler fitter.

Nobody wants to even think about lifting up a Rigid 60” in steel.
These were at the pulp mill where I worked in the 80s and saw the aluminum option. Only way to go. Mine is the more manageable 16” or so.

I always wondered what kind of issues the mill was having when I saw the bent 60” steel Rigid pipe wrenches. I think most of them were bent.

These were at the pulp mill where I worked in the 80s and saw the aluminum option. Only way to go. Mine is the more manageable 16” or so.

I always wondered what kind of issues the mill was having when I saw the bent 60” steel Rigid pipe wrenches. I think most of them were bent.
At the old Sinclair refinery in Hammond, IN. The boss asked my Pipefitter Bro, "Jim, how did you bend this brand new Rigid 4 ft pipe wrench?" Jim, "You told us to change out that valve that was about 100 years old. We put the wrench on it and it wouldn't budge. Then we put a cheater pipe on and it wouldn't move. Along came an Operating Engineer on a backhoe. He put the bucket on the wrench and yes we got the valve out, but it bent the wrench.

Good to see it's still out there. Running a pair of Mani 2's for over 2 years also a thrift find. Nice speakers. I have never found them difficult to drive unless you are trying to play them very loud.....

House of Secrets 92 would have been real good. I always wanted that comic 44 years ago but it was $30 for a clean one.

I have been mulling moving my humble collection for some time. I flipped a low grade Amazing Spiderman 2 four years ago....

92 was in there, along with Ghostrider 1, star wars 1 x4 copies and 2 copies each of Star Wars 2-4, Action comics 416, marvel spotlight 28, spiderman 96-98…around $7-8k in total according to one of these collection apps. Glad I saved them

I had a Good Friday! :D

Went thrifting this morning and scored this beauty at a GW in excellent condition! It's an Akai GX-255 from 1979/1980. So far the only flaw is a burnt out right VU meter lamp, the heads look like new, no further testing yet. It came with the metal reel and 2 tapes, the Realistic tape is stilled sealed and the Maxell in excellent condition and a sealed package of Akai Sensing Tabs which I don't even know what they do lol. Paid a total of $17.63 including an Association Greatest Hits album on WB from 1968!

It's so clean you can eat off it. :p

PXL-20240329-192053893.jpg

PXL-20240329-192134931-MP.jpg

PXL-20240329-192248607.jpg

PXL-20240329-192427642.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom