Sansui 9090db protection mode followed by no output

Do the fusible resistors look obvious when they’ve done their job? R30 and r31 look interesting
They usually look normal, no visible indication when they're open. You'll have the un-solder one leg to check resistance. They're easy to get to as the driver board is removeable so the replacement can be accomplished on the bench. While you're at it, you may as well replace them completely with regular resistors, regardless of whether they're within specs or not. The ones pictured are fusible resistors, and they look a little charred on one end. May as well check those.

Last edited:
Be aware that the "fusistors" on the driver board don't tend to fail outright, they drift off the original spec over time, which usually trips the protection circuit.

I'm not saying they're not your particular unit's fault, but bad "fusistors" on the F-2624 driver board doesn't seem consistent with the symptoms that you've described. Could be, but doesn't sound right to me.

But it also wouldn't be the first time a Sansui 8080DB/9090DB receiver has made me go: "what"?

Both channels out at the same time tends to point me to something that's common to both.

That would normally be fuses or the speaker relay contacts.

But you've metered the fuses. You did at least lift one side of the fuse, yes?

Maybe take the bottom off and see what the contacts look like in the protection/speaker relay. My relay has a clear case and you can get a decent look at the contacts without taking the relay apart.

I can't remember if you have to remove the tone board to see the relay, but you do have to take it out if you plan to clean the contacts. If they're black and pitted you may have found the issue. Don't sand the contacts, burnish them. They're silver plated and you just want to clean them, not strip the silver plating off them.

I usually cut a small strip of a non-shiny business card that will fit between the contacts, put a couple drops of deoxit on it, slip it between the contacts and rub it back and forth. I keep repeating that with fresh strips until the paper comes out clean.

I don't think that a dirty relay killing the signal would also make the VU meters go dead, but I could be wrong on that...

Last edited:
If the tuner is not responding it suggests power supply failure from F2619 which in turn is fed from R30 on the power supply board.
Very helpful! I just came across another post on here where someone was experiencing no output. Ended up being r30 and r31!

Might as well rebuild the whole power board if you have to get in there. I had a bad transistor on mine (there's only one IIRC) that was causing all sorts of weird problems. I ended up just swapping out al the caps and resistors as well. Just made sense to me to do it while I had the board out.

There's not many components on it, so it's a cheap rebuild. Couple bigger caps though IIRC, so they might cost a little bit....

Just wanted to circle back! I tested the two 1 ohm fusible resistors (r30, r31) and both were open. Replaced them both, and we are back in action!

And with some Zep! for a test... :rockon: So you now know to replace every fusible no matter what. I put 1A fuses in their place wired to remote fuse holders. So if they blow, then simply pop in new fuses without surgery.

That sounds like a great idea! It seems there are newer versions that have fuses instead of the resistors? Or were these modded?
Some were a service bulletin install where the 1 Ohm fusibles were replaced with pigtail fuses (in gawdy tubing insulators), and stickers placed in their locations. I have to correct myself and say I used 1.5A fuses which is what was on those stickers. Plus R32 (fusible) was replaced with a 1A pigtail fuse in the same bulletin. So I used 3 fuse holders total with longer screws mounting them to the transformer basket. I used fish paper as a shield to prevent them from shorting should they spin on the single mounting screw. Then wrote the value on the fish paper.

Well, it worked for a while and now we have a new issue haha. The right outputs have low output and tons of distortion. This is across all inputs. Any help determining where to start, and common issues that may cause this?

the power meter shows less output on the right side with speakers connected, but when I switch to the unused speaker output (b or c) the meters are even.

You probably lost bias in that channel. Possibly cold solder joint somewhere, check emitter resistors and bias trimmer. If not that, have to troubleshoot the driver board.

You probably lost bias in that channel. Possibly cold solder joint somewhere, check emitter resistors and bias trimmer. If not that, have to troubleshoot the driver board.
I just got my tek 2246 working finally! Sounds like it may come in handy. I would be eternally grateful if anyone would be willing to do a video call and walk me through the troubleshooting with the scope. I just need to be shown how to do it properly one time, and it’ll stick with me forever!

I think there are easier ways for you then grabbing the scope. Check soldering on a driver board with a magnifier, measure emitter resistors, measure the bias trimmer, check the bias.....

I would be eternally grateful if anyone would be willing to do a video call and walk me through the troubleshooting with the scope. I just need to be shown how to do it properly one time, and it’ll stick with me forever!
Why not place an ad in BT for this very request? You may get a taker or 2.

Well, it worked for a while and now we have a new issue haha. The right outputs have low output and tons of distortion. This is across all inputs. Any help determining where to start, and common issues that may cause this?

the power meter shows less output on the right side with speakers connected, but when I switch to the unused speaker output (b or c) the meters are even.
One blown fuse will cause that imbalance. Check F04/05 and be sure the fuse clips are tight to hold the fuses firmly.
This one had me baffled one day, and it was just one fuse that blew for some reason.

One blown fuse will cause that imbalance. Check F04/05 and be sure the fuse clips are tight to hold the fuses firmly.
This one had me baffled one day, and it was just one fuse that blew for some reason.
I’ll check it out today! Hopefully it’s something that simple

Back
Top Bottom