HPM 100's & Klipsch Fortes

SonicDawg

Couple days ago I asked my bro-in-law about his old speakers, asking if they were HPM 100's and what happened to them. He said he thought they were JBL's and they were in the closet. Talking to him again today about the JBL's? and telling him to bring them over turkey day, he says let me check what they are, well my new best bro-in-law tells me THEY are HPM 100's!!! Woohooo, score, right? So I'm getting them for nothing. Assuming they're in playing shape, my question is this : What would you pair them with out of this possible gear to choose from. Receivers-----Hope to soon have a Sansui 9090db, or a Yamaha CR 1040, Pioneer Sx-780 or a Hitachi sr 903. Speakers I own Klipsch Fortes, JBL Decade L26's, Paradigm Mini monitor v5's or some KLH towers that sound good.....not sure what model. Are the HPM's worth being excited about, I know as a 16 year old kid in 1980 they were, I really love the Fortes, how would they sound together? Any advice, suggestions and comments appreciated. Happy Holidays!

I had them both never played them A/B
Just sold my HPM-100's they did not make the cut.

One thing to look out for is if your Fortes are 4ohm., Mine are 1985.
This could be a load problem playing them at the same time with the 8ohm. HPM-100 Pioneers.

Last edited:
I have HPM 100's and Klipsch KG 4.2's. I like the 100's a lot. But I find I would rather listen to the Klipsch. Now that may be due to my listening room being small and the 2 way works better in the room. YMMV but you won't regret having them.

I had them both never played them A/B
Just sold my HPM-100's they did not make the cut.
Ouch! Well I guess I'll just have to see how they sound to me.

One thing to look out for is if your Fortes are 4ohm., Mine are 1985.
This could be a load problem playing them at the same time with the Pioneers.
Thanks for the reply!

Like Boozehound I've heard both but never A/B'd them. Both are great but the Klipsch I feel have a little edge. I am a fan for horns though so may be a bit biased.

What do you have to lose? I like my HPM-110's...but they are the only speakers I ever had for the primary listening room. To scared to venture into a sound room. lol...

The Sansui would be the best receiver, IMO, to drive the HPM's. It has the power and the headroom to cleanly power them to impressive levels.

As for the speakers, the Klipsch Fortes, which I have never heard, would likely make a nice contrast. I would think they would compliment each other and add dimension to the sound when you are in the mood.

Couple have said haven't A+B'ed both, does this mean you don't usually A+B? Or just haven't A=B'ed these two?
I have owned HPM-100's in the past, sold em, and currently have Klipsch Fortes. Never owned both at the same time so was not able to compare them or play together. I own a pair of B&W 602s3's with my Fortes and they sound terrible when played together but excellent when played separately. Very different which I think is what you will find with your dilemma. Its a wonderful dilemma to have though, enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom