Pioneer HPM-900's or Klipsch Fortes, and why if you don't mind?

I'm am stating my own personal opinions, like I metioned before, if you don't like them, look elsewhere. After all that's what the forum is about-it's not always warm and fuzzy. perhaps don't take it so personal.....

Trust me, I'm not taking it personal at all.

I happen to be a big fan of horn designed loudspeakers and have been known to actually listen to them from time to time.

To make a blanket statement like "You don't see to may people trying to 'redesign' the Forte's- but alot of HPM owners have the need to 'redesign' there HPM's-to me that's the sign of a poor design to begin with" is what I was questioning along with the Thruster comparison.

I have no issue with personal opinion what-so-ever and encourage an open dialog. By the same token, if you offer up a strong viewpoint regarding anything for that matter, you should hardly be shocked if someone were to question that viewpoint.

Both the Forte and HPM 900 would be fine choices an as in all cases, would encourage listening to both before making a purchase decision. They have two distinctly different sonic personalities that may or may not appeal to a an individual.

Who knows, after listening to both, maybe the OP would prefer Thrusters to either of them.

RC

Trust me, I'm not taking it personal at all.

I happen to be a big fan of horn designed loudspeakers and have been known to actually listen to them from time to time.

To make a blanket statement like "You don't see to may people trying to 'redesign' the Forte's- but alot of HPM owners have the need to 'redesign' there HPM's-to me that's the sign of a poor design to begin with" is what I was questioning along with the Thruster comparison.

I have no issue with personal opinion what-so-ever and encourage an open dialog. By the same token, if you offer up a strong viewpoint regarding anything for that matter, you should hardly be shocked if someone were to question that viewpoint.

Both the Forte and HPM 900 would be fine choices an as in all cases, would encourage listening to both before making a purchase decision. They have two distinctly different sonic personalities that may or may not appeal to a an individual.

Who knows, after listening to both, maybe the OP would prefer Thrusters to either of them.
Thrusters?- I bet:thmbsp:, any way I totally agree with you-we can all be oppionated for sure-take the essence of it and use for your own good-that's the true value of this forum-again thanks for clearing this up

Personally, after thinking about it for a minute or two, I'd suggest you pass on both. Not that they're bad speakers, but for $300 to $400 I think you can get into much better speakers such as Dahlquists, Vandersteens, Snells. In fact, I think there are many better choices... FWIW

YMMV.

Funny.... I JUST did a side by side comparison of the Forte and the HPM 900. One word. Midrange. The HPM didn't have any and the Forte had heaps of sweet, smooth midrange.

Forte all the way.

Last edited:
Haven't heard the Forte's but is there any way you can listen to them before buying?? You could then select the pair that your ears prefer, a far better selection method than listening to our opinions. I have noticed that any time HPM's are brought up I see the same people bashing them again and again; some folks are just actively negative on certain subjects, HPM being one of those. Listen with your ears, I say.

Last edited:
Haven't listened to a lot of speaker's in my time. ( at least some of those mentioned here ) But from my own personal experience I wouldn't trade my HPM-900's for any other. I absolutely love'em But hey that's me.

Fortes are efficient, 98 db, they are basically very flat from 30 to 20,000 hz, depending how they are installed in a room. But they deserve an excellent amp with accurate tendency's but shying away from amps being overly analytical in reproduction. Some might find this speaker a great choice for SET amps. I would think a nice older 8b or MC 240 would be a nice choice. Though if you want SS, you could use a nice tube pre-amp. On a budget you might find some of NADS amps to be just the ticket. Any component that generates high frequency distortion or noise in the chain of amplification is going to make the listening experience less than desirable! MP3 sound and some ADD discs will drive you away making you think you made the worse choice ever in some cases.

Well, remember we're talking about speakers that are over 30s years old now. Their day has come and gone, especially with those mid 80s Klipsch tweeter horns which weren't very good, especially by today's standards. For that reason I give the nod to the HPM900.

I will 3rd, the Forte's are clearly the superior speakers, to any HPM series for that matter.

I beg to differ (to your 9 year old post! LOL!)

I am probably one of the few here who are currently running both speakers, the 900's to my Sansui 8080DB and the Forte's to my SX737. I love both, very much, but the Forte's are finicky, they want JUST the right receiver, JUST the right setup/placement, Crites Tweeter diaphrams, etc, before they sound good (great actually). However, if you like louder music, with clear defined bass, these are not the speakers for you.

The HPM900 is NOT the HPM100 that many people do not like, it is a different speaker all together, with crisp but not bright highs, beautifully defined mids, and clear, hard hitting bass. (And a totally different super tweeter).

Many people never get to hear the HPM900 as it came from Pioneer, as the woofer material is fragile when new, and downright delicate when 30-40 years old, so they get switched out with 100 woofers, or whatever else will fit. Which completely changes the dynamic of the speaker. 900's are plug and play, and play pretty damn well.

FYI, this response is just for legacy's sake, in case anyone stumbles on this thread in the future!

Thats one of the main reasons I don't like horn systems, at least the ones I've listened to.
Still...I keep hearing how good they are...............
The HPM series, while good, are too "wooly" sounding to my ears,.... the smoothness I believe. They are balanced. :yes: (900's not 100's)

i think the altec model 14's are probably one best of best vintage consumer speaker to introduce horns to people in my opinion. i really was floored when my friend told me got some 14's was working on so i visited him and on that day listening to them i gave him money and got them recapped haha. i think you will probably like them if ever find a chance to listen to them.

Back
Top Bottom